March 24, 2007

Occupation bloggers


' In a room full of psychotherapists, a big cigar is never just a big cigar"

This blog is about a female psychotherapist named Ms. Melancholy, she is British and the blog contains her opinion on her job and the world around her.

I think this is a very successful site, unlike others that claim to be occupational, like the Librarian blogs, she takes you as far into her a job as possible. The level of writing is good and she has a lovely flow to her work.

Ms. Melancholy uses the blog to vent her frustrations in a witty and humorous manner.

The interesting part to this site is that she sees her colleagues as her enemy, she can relate to the average Jane and keeps a good overview of her job to help the reader feel more comfortable.

There was a little jargon, which can be intimidating, but she tied current events into her occupation sphere well, such as Ulrika Johnson's sex addiction programme on channel 4.

All in all I found her funny and very interesting.

At least I now know even the shrinks need a rant sometimes.

3 comments:

Ms Melancholy said...

Hey, Jelly Beans. Thanks for the lovely comments. However, I feel a need to correct you when you say that I 'see my colleagues as the enemy'. That's not strictly true! However, I do like to cast a critical eye over the world of psychotherapy, and in particular how some versions of psychotherapy can be used as a way of pathologising normal human processes. And to be fair, this is more the popular media's version of psychotherapy rather than anything that is seriously practised in consulting rooms. Advanced capitalist societies have a tendency to generate 'problems' that then require an industry to fix them. I don't believe this is a self-conscious process, either, but rather a feature of late modern capitalism.This is my gripe. Not necessarily my colleagues. But once again, thanks for the mention! x

Jelly beans said...

wow, very intense!

thanks so much for my first comment ever!!

This will please my lecturer.

Thanks for the correction, it's nice to get feed back.

Jim said...

Good choice of work blog to review - and well done on drawing a response. Have a look at the way Ms Melancholy responds to comments - it's kind of useful to see how someone responds to feedback - and she gets loads.

Jim